Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Takin them heads back...nah son, nah!

I have a blog on Yahoo 360, Yahoo's social experiement in trying to create community. After about 3 years, the whole idea has fizzled as I have watched friends fall by the wayside, delete their accounts and sporadic logons. I think I wrote some really good blogs there and I think it will take me a minute to get back up to speed with good, clever writing here on blogger. So for now, enjoy one of my favs from November 2006:

The Cussin blog or Cursing is for motherf*ckers who can't express themselves

I sometimes tell people that I speak three languages, Spanish, English and Profanity. I like to think I am fluent in the last 2. The argument is that people who curse are not able to express themselves in a constructive manner. In my opinion, nothing could be further from the truth. Instead, I think it takes a really creative mind to string together a good line of four letter words in order to get ones point across. Think about it, we know people who curse just for the sake of cursing and those who can curse with a "purpose" and can clearly get their point across. Hell, if you are really good about it you may have folks scared to come near you because they think you are crazy. Confused? Let me provide an illustration to show what I am talking about. Lets look at a conversation between two people: we'll call them Jack and Jill.

Jack: Hey Jill, I had some Ice Cream sandwiches in the freezer were there any left?

Jill: Yeah, there was one left

Jack: I guess you ate it?

Jill: Yeah

Jack: I really had my mouth set on an Ice Cream Sandwich

Jill: Well, you can get some more.

Boring conversation, wasn't it? Now lets look at the cursing version of this conversation:

Jack: Hey Jill, I had some Ice Cream sandwiches in the freezer were there any left?

Jill: Yeah, what there was one left. What the fuck about it!

Jack: Shit! I guess you ate that last one!

Jill: Hell Yeah!

Jack: Well damn! I really had my mouth set on an Ice Cream Sandwich you greedy bitch!

Jill: Well, man up and carry your punk ass to the store and buy another fuckin box!

I think Jack and Jill really cleared the air and resolved their issues over said ice cream sandwich in that converation. What do you think? So in summary, dont think of cursing as being unable to effectively express yourself. Instead think of the four letter word as the pepper or salt of your everyday language. We can use cursing to wake up the flavor of our communication, better get our points across when used effectively and can be used as a very efficient way to provide a protective barrier by establishing that you are not to be fucked with.

No comments: