Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Early Retirement=Unpatriotic?

Getting dressed in the morning for work provides alot of different entertainment on the TV. Most of what is on is news and you get so much variation in the type of news you get. There are the old reliables like Good Morning America or Today and of course CNN with the "Most news in the morning?" (Jon Stewart had a good point, how does one measure how much news you cram into a broadcast?) Then there is everyone else, like The Daily Buzz. That crew is corny, I dont think they take themselves seriously. One morning as I dressed, they presented a report that said an economist has done research that suggests that early retirement in this economy is not helpful. The report goes on to label those who retire early as "unpatriotic" since they are taking themselves out of the labor pool and adding themselves to the roll of those who will begin to collect pensions and/or Social Security. WOW...that was some serious s*it! Just think, someone who has worked a good part of their life and is now either sick of working, want to do something else or just dont want to work anymore are unpatriotic. If anything these people should be congratulated for their hard work and endurance especially in these ever changing times where I am sure that they have had many fears of not having a job. Where could the real blame go for our worsening crisis with Social Security? Hmmm, I guess we are forgetting about a large population of young people who cant or dont hold down a regular job who dont contribute to the shrinking Social Security pot. I wonder would it make more sense to label them "unpatriotic."(a bit extreme in my opinion, I would just label them LAZY AS HELL!) It is simple supply and demand, I work now to put money into the pot which will be used by current retirees while the generation behind me should be doing the same thing for me, so on and so forth. Admittedly there are a large number of retirees (Baby Boomers) and fewer of Gen Xers like myself. GenX did have it's angst and growing pains but we knew that it would require us to go forth in the world and make a way by doing as our parents did, work hard at something, endure and be successful. I dont know where Gen Y lost it's way, but they need a compass and soon, hell I have about 30 more years for retirement and damnit I want mine!!! Afterwards, I chuckled and kept on out the door for work. I found the report laughable and yet another reason to consider The Daily Buzz the "USA Today" of morning news shows (I HATE USA Today...worst newspaper ever, looks like a f*cking comic book).

1 comment:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Well my goal is to retire early I hope or at least have the option! Pimping ain't easy!! just jokes.

-OG