Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Things just arent like they used to be...

With all that has gone on in my life in the last few years, I take the following saying very much to heart: "Do not regret growing old, many are denied the priviledge." I thank God everyday for another day, although I will admit that some days I am not as appreciative as I should be, mainly because I am focused on things that dont amount to a hill of beans. If we stop to reflect, there are some folks going through some real...and I mean REAL stuff that makes out complaints seem minute. Although I relish what I have and not take too much for granted, getting older does "hurt" a bit. I now have a bit of a gut, I need fiber in my diet and my hair looks better when it is cut very close to hide the obvious bald spot. Hell, I havent had waves in my hair since about 1989! I remember being a big, yet kind of trim guy...I was an athlete in high school and in college I played intramurals and worked out. Since that time getting out in the "real" world of work, sitting at a desk or lab bench has taken a bit of a toll on the kid. I keep saying to myself "I want my track body back" as I walk towards the freezer and scoop out some Vanilla Sandwich ice cream into a bowl. Yeah, it bad (BTW, that ice cream is awesome!) but I know what I need to do. Time is the enemy of all things, living and not. We know that we are on earth for a predestined time and every second, that time gets shorter. What do we have to do? We have to begin to appreciate and use every moment to our best ability...to treat our bodies well, to laugh with a friend, to hug your mom, dad, brother, niece, nephew, sister, to work towards a goal, to work not out of necessity but to work because it is what you truly want to do (and yes that is HARD to do). I have got some work to do on me and I started last night by pulling out my MCAT review book and making one last attempt to try to get into med school. I think that I have made peace with the possibility that I may not achieve that goal but instead I have to, if necessary direct my energy towards finding that job that I skip to everyday because I love it so much. And so it begins, a new journey to another place in my life while there is still ample strength in my body and mind knowing that time is drawing up. I look forward to all that is in front of me and not dwelling on what I leave behind.

1 comment:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Glad you are going for it. I'm getting ready to start studying for the GMAT, never have taken it, but I think the time is drawing near. Business school when I am done in Boston is my next big goal.

-OG