Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Common Demoninator is YOU...

Although this is the wasteland period for sports (after NBA hangs it up for a bit and baseball rages on until thanksgiving), that special moment occurs for me that gives me so much hope and happiness. FOOTBALL season is coming...bright and early in the morning! (proverbially that is!) Been doing some reading, watching the news, SportsCenter etc and it just hit me that my happy place is returning soon. It is funny how a sport makes you think about relationships. Now as I stated earlier, I am all about relationships whether they are romantic, friendship, working etc. they are the bonds that drive our lives and direct our motivations in alot of ways. So I got to thinking about football and my pro team and their new coach. (Ok, I am a Redskins fan...say what you will but maybe we will finally get it right) The owner Daniel Snyder has had 9 head coaches (some were interim) in almost 10 years of ownership. My 4 year old niece can do that math, after the 3rd or 4th coach you may want to to some introspection Mr. Snyder. It is almost akin to ther person who gets married and divorced 4-6 times and they ask themselves "why cant i stay married?" So what do you think is the problem for Snyder, who has had 9 coaches or the person who has multiple marriages? What thing do they have in common in every relationship?

A. Lack of communication
B. Ike Turner/Joan Crawford complex
C. YOU
D. None of the above...and stop asking me multi choice questions like we are in school!

If you picked C, you are either highly intelligent or you read the title of my blog. If you picked D, go back to Kindergarten!!! I think self-introspection is missing in our society, among people in general. You have to wonder what makes people so dilusional and unrealistic about their talents, relationships and abilities. Now, let me qualify this by saying that I believe that if you put your mind to something and work at it, it can be achieved. However, there has to be a point that where you work for something and if it isnt quite going so well or you arent achieving or even you get the same reaction everytime you attempt something where someone takes you aside and says "maybe this isnt for you" then maybe it is time to pick some new knitting. Working in academia for a few years, I saw so many students fall short in their goals and you want to be encouraging but when the failure is consistent and with little improvement in outcomes and personal habits, you dont want to give false hope to someone that in the future has a big responsibilty in their job and what they do (or not do) could affect someone's life in a major way. I appreciate self-introspection and those who recognize that they have limits and do not try to cross those limits. It is a character trait we more of, I can respect you more if you tell me you cant do something instead of doing it and making the situation that much worse. I think that is something we all can live with and agree on. I'm out like Cross-Colors...

No comments: