Monday, July 21, 2008

Monogamy's a hellava drug...

Relationships are what sustain us and make us truly human. Relationships seem to always be so prevalent in my life as a topic because there are so many types of them and as I have stated I am a people person. I value relationships of all kinds although sometimes those relationships may not be exactly what we want, but they usually turn out to be exactly what we need at that moment in time. One of my friends just recently proposed to his girlfriend and as of late I have been telling him that he is my hero. Well to be honest, I have alot of heroes who are married and work it out everyday. Like my parents, they have been married 40 years and they have seen so much in their lives such as how much society has changed. I often wonder about making that move, being married and working to make it work.

On my last job, I was surrounded by some REAL jaded married people. Seeing this and then being constantly asked when I was getting married made me ask myself, What's the point? It seemed then (and somewhat so now) that all married people do is complain. Being in a relationship and one that is long distance poses challenges, especially when it seems like the MINUTE you get involved with someone then every single woman you were looking for while you were single decides to come out the house and talk to you. I have always found this phenomena to be so hilarious yet aggravating. I could do nothing but laugh at myself and have a laugh with the other fellas at the "married or involved" table at the club this past Friday. We went down to Richmond to celebrate a friend's birthday and talk about a club packed with women...well I was and am always on my best behavior but of course you know we did get approached for one reason or another while we were there sippin on drinks, just chillin and having a good time. What is that all about, I mean the joke is that "attached dudes seem to be more attractive to women than unattached men". Is that based on the idea that we truly want what we cannot have? I always have to keep laughing because I find so much of how life unfolds to be funny. Maybe the big man upstairs in his infinite control and wisdom has a sense of humor after all? What do you think about all of this? I am always open to new ways of thinking about this and other relationship issues. Holla back at me!

1 comment:

OG, The Original Glamazon said...

Well, I don’t do LDR’s I would just postpone exclusivity until someone can move. The last LDR I had was in college around 22-23. It just doesn’t make sense to me and they end up feeling unauthentic; because well you are always on good behavior in a LDR because you don’t want your honey to leave you with a bad taste in his/her mouth. I mean the last thing you want is a salty SO and space that is a combination for very quick break-up.

I don’t think I get more attention in a relationship, but I haven’t been someone’s girlfriend in a long time, since before I was married. Although when I was married I shrunk my violet on purpose, if that make sense. You are the first attached man to say women crawl out of the woodwork when there is the scent of another chick on him. So I think there has gotta be something to it!

-OG