Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I support black, not ignorant

I think alot of confusion has come about in the age of "hatin" where if one does not subscribe to what is hot, not or black then you are classified as a hater. Thinking long and hard about this, I really could not accurately (not enough to give it justice) define what hatin' or being a hater is. Now I gotta go to school on you and pull out, yes...THE URBAN DICTIONARY to provide some clarity on this.

Hater: A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person.

Hatin': Sayin bad things about/puttin someone down because they have something that you want

So basically, it all boils down to one word: jealousy! As the title of the blog states, I support my sistas and brothas provided what they are doing is positive and makes a bit of damn sense. I had a former co-worker who took this to an extreme and supported black even though the intent of the person may be kind of questionable. Which leads me to wonder how pervasive is this type of thinking when it comes to people's reactions when someone says "I'm not supporting Tyler Perry's new movie" or "I don't like Beyonce, she can't act/sing/whatever." Does a statement like that classify someone as a hater? Let's analyze this.

I will be honest, not a Beyonce fan. There are songs of her's I like but not a fan of her singing and her acting is even worse. She couldn't play a corpse on CSI, lets be real here! Now in saying that I am just offering an opinion of how I judge her talent. Her success is great, she is popular and that is why one works hard and grinds to enjoy the benefits of success. So does my opinion of her make me a hater? I have not said that i envy her success and hopes she fails. On the contrary, I hope that she continues to entertain the masses but in the same regard become better at it. I think as a people we have become a bit too sensitive especially now that we come from more and more diverse backgrounds. I am a lover of music...good music and what passes today for music does not get my approval or support. If you are good, I will give you credit. Doesn't mean I have to like you, I just either support or not support you. No jealousy involved, to be able to sing, act or be creative and to touch a life with it is simply a gift from God. We need to take better care as to use certain terminology when we describe what we percieve as the actions of others. Lastly, we need to return to better respecting the opinions of others. Diversity in thought makes us better, stronger. I like that black folks do things differently and that we are all aren't the same in how we think. I like that better than being a lemming. Thoughts greatly appreciated!

No comments: