Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Reality TV: Not my reality!

I was engaged in deep thought at the gym about reality TV and the current wave which we as a society have been sucked whole into. I admit, when this current wave started I watched one or two shows religiously and then the dam broke and soon I couldn't keep track nor watch the ever growing line up of shows from successful people trying to become ultra successful (The Apprentice) to has been celebrities getting another shot in the spotlight while making complete asses of themselves. (The Surreal Life) Now the latter category that I just mentioned has become the norm and the formula for the most current crop of shows and I must say that although it may be entertaining (albeit disturbing) to watch famous folks (or formerly famous folks) to hash out their problems, complain about how hard their life is having so many choices, so much money and not having the time to vacation, I really don't give a shit nor subscribe to this current reality.

Some of the best examples of this are Keeping up with the Kardashians. When the show premiered, I sat down and watched a few episodes and found myself a bit intrigued and even laughed at some of the silly moments. But I couldn't relate (as is the case with most viewers) to rich, spoiled, complainers who bitch about what they can't do and what they won't do. Well hey, it's nice to have a choice! If you got money and decide to open a store because you ain't got shit better to do, where do I sign up for that!!! Sounds like a nice life to me but what do I know? I have to pack a lunch, punch a clock and take someone else's crap 8 hrs a day. Would be nice to not have to do that. In saying all of that, why are we so drawn to celebrity and their lives knowing that their reality does not in any way, shape or form matches ours?

Reality TV in it's most pure form should make legitimate celebrities. Those who can offer us some positivity, give us a model or an example to follow. My favorite show on the air now is Top Chef. Now you more than likely won't see the winners of this show on a lot of TV shows nor on Food Network (God forbid!), these chefs will leave and open restaurants and other culinary business which reflect the true meaning of success this country was founded on. I am always saying or asking who someone is and why are they relevant. Now that Jersey Shore has ended, Snooki is getting a show, "The Situation" is now a household name and a whole new cycle of false celebrity is born. If all it takes is getting punched in the mouth and inventing an idiotic dance is how one becomes famous these days, I guess I need to get in a bar fight or bring back the running man for 2010.

No comments: